Stress. The word that is responsible for tensioned shoulders, migraine headaches, clenched jaws, and emotional roller coasters. Whether the root is work, school, family, or life in general, nothing beats stress release like a long hot bath. Hot water, aromatic bubbles, and a staycation in your bathroom oasis away from the rest of the world will allow some of that stress to melt right away!
Here are 7 must haves for a perfectly relaxing bath:
- Time. Seems like a given right? The fact is, most people don’t give themselves enough time in the tub. Make sure to really allow yourself to relax by blocking off some well-deserved ‘you time’. A period of 30-60 minutes allows you to decompress, distress, and take a few deep breaths before you return to combat the real world.
- Luxury bath products. There’s no harm in splurging every once in a while, and picking up some great bubble, scrubs, or oils from one of your favourite beauty stores to keep them on hand for special uses is well worth the cost. Try calming scents like lavender and jasmine or coconut and vanilla, or one that triggers great memories to enjoy your soak!
- Epsom Salts. To add a detox measure to your bath, grab two cups of Epsom salts and scatter throughout the tub to allow them to mix into the water as it fills. It will draw toxins from your body and ease tense muscles.
- Refreshing beverages. To help with the detoxification, replenish lost fluids with drinking cold water. Hydrated muscles are less injury prone and more relaxed allowing the body to better handle stress!
- Candles. Candles may seem cliché, but a few strategically placed candles can provide a more calming ambiance away from the harsh overhead lights. Take safety precautions and stay away from flammable materials!
- A good book. Maybe you love the classics or maybe you just want to catch up on celebrity gossip. Whatever your simple pleasure may be, grab a copy and indulge! Reading will help relax your mind as you are transported to worlds and loves aside from your own.
- Tranquil sounds. This could mean simple silence, ambient sounds of waves crashing, or your favourite tunes playing softly in the background. Use your stereo, cell dock, or go all out and install your very own set of in room speakers!
Helpful Hint: leave your phone, computer, and other distractions on the other side of the door so you can focus on you!
Helpful Hint: Feel like using luxury bath products all the time? Consider installing a dispenser that keeps your favourite soaps, shampoos, conditioners, and bubble bath liquids at the quick pump of wall fixture.
Helpful Hint: Wine, sparkling cider, or another beverage of your choice may be substituted if desired—but only water will help flush the toxins!
Next time your life starts getting too busy, skip the Friday night fuss and plan a super soak to de-stress. Happy bathing!