You may be diligent about cleanliness in your bathroom, but any kind of discoloration in your toilet — even marks caused by stains — can make a huge difference in how your room is perceived.
- If stains and/or odors around your toilet bowl persist, consider these hacks that could solve those issues without the use of harsh chemicals.
- For a basic cleaning potion, add to the bowl a cup of distilled white vinegar followed by a cup of baking soda, then one to two more cups of vinegar. Let the solution work for at least 5 minutes before scrubbing.
- To get rims, seams, baseboards and the toilet base sparkling clean without chemical odors, try using half a grapefruit covered in salt. You could also use a toothbrush to scrub away grime, try a paste made of baking soda, water and essential oil or a foam made with Castile soap and borax. Finish the job with a 50-50 water-and-vinegar spray wiped dry with a microfiber cloth.
- To remove white or rust-colored mineral deposits, turn off your water supply then minimize standing water in the bowl by flushing and/or plunging. Spray the bowl with vinegar, leave 30 minutes, then scrub. If stains remain, add baking soda to your brush then scrub again. Rub a pumice stone on any remaining deposits, or try vinegar-soaked paper towels left on the spots overnight.
- Annually, unfasten your seat joints with a screwdriver and scrub grime accumulated underneath.
- Make an effort to clean the siphon jets in the back of your bowl. Shut off your water, minimize water left in the bowl and scrub the holes with cleaner. Then empty your tank, seal the jets with duct tape, add a gallon of vinegar to your tank and flush so the vinegar enters the jets and fills the bowl. Leave overnight before removing the tape, scrubbing the jets again, turning water back on and flushing away the grime.
Your ability to keep your toilets sparkling clean is also dependent on whether you have the most efficient and effective tools. Consider how a Toilet Squeegee can thoroughly clean all the curves and crevices in your bowl without sticking, clogging, splattering water, rusting or harboring extra bacteria.